New Found Spirit @ UC

Got Spirit? Let's Hear It!

October 19, 2022

After nearly two years of social distancing, masks, and restrictions on most, if not all, events, the Union Catholic ‘22-’23 school year is looking bright. At long last, this fall ushers in a normal high school experience for the students. Without the safety protocols of years prior, students are looking to get more involved in the events going on in the community. For every current high school student, this is the first “normal” year they will get to experience. Already this year, the Union Catholic Vikings stands are packed with students supporting each other, buzzing with chants and the occasional jeer at opponents.

Over the course of the pandemic, competitions were canceled, pep rallies were put on pause, and the vibrant nature of Union Catholic students yearned for a return to the community. This year, things are different. At the beginning of 2020, the class of ‘23 was cut off from having a normal freshman year due to the Covid-19 lockdown, so “psyched” is an understatement when describing this year’s senior class. Students look to bring hype to each sporting event and enforce the idea of community with themed games. Attendance to the matchup of Union Catholic and Westfield at the Vault on September 12th was “mandatory,” encouraging anyone that could to support the girls during a competitive game. Despite falling short 2-1 in a tiebreaker set, the crowd was electric.

“It has been so long since we were able to be normal teenagers in high school instead of digital pixels,” senior Isabella Ruiz remarks. Ruiz, a senior on the cheerleading team, witnesses firsthand the amount of spirit UC is capable of producing. The cheerleading team, in charge of spirit at UC, looks to be the first line of support that competing athletes see. Union Catholic, known best for its track program, boasts a wide variety of high-performing varsity sports as well.                                                     

Many upperclassmen remember the varsity basketball matchup against ALJ during the ‘21-’22 season as one that truly brought the community together. What started as a simple Instagram post displaying the Union Catholic sports schedule quickly became something more. Hundreds of Instagram comments later, it was Vikings vs Crusaders. Nobody disrespects the Helm and gets away with it. Union Catholic students banded together and showed out to watch the boy’s varsity team face off against newly made rivals. In the end, the Vikings came out on top 76-52. Many learned that day what energy could be produced in the walls of Union Catholic, and energy that has been missing for so many years. From then to now, the future and energy of UC are looking bright.