The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

The Exciting 2023-2024 Women’s College Lacrosse Season

A Huge Game of “Who Will Win?”
Wikimedia Commons

The year 2024 marks an exciting period for Women’s College Lacrosse. Across the nation, collegiate athletes are actively participating in the NCAA tournament. The tournament’s wide range of teams and talent levels are making this year’s event more intense than ever before. This annual tournament plays a crucial role in raising awareness of the sport throughout the country as its popularity continues to grow.

The 2024 tournament has been filled with unexpected surprises. According to ncaa.com, Michigan, an unranked team, has made it to the semifinals, facing off against the second seed, Boston College. Typically, an unranked status suggests a team is not as competitive as others, making Michigan’s advancement a notable upset in the tournament.

As the games progress, anticipation builds towards the final showdown. Lacrosse has garnered a growing interest from fans nationwide over the years. “Although I’ve only played lacrosse for a year, I find it very enjoyable, and I’m glad I started playing,” expressed Maddie Farrell ’27, a first-year player at Union Catholic, reflecting the sentiment of many new players joining the sport. The influx of new players indicates the rapid increase in interest, showcasing the sport’s continuous growth.

The NCAA season this year has been rife with upsets and remarkable feats. For instance, Izzy Scane, an attacker from Northwestern, secured the title of all-time leading scorer in college lacrosse history. Additionally, Michigan’s last-second goal propelled them to the quarterfinals of the NCAA tournament for the first time. These events are just a glimpse of the numerous surprises witnessed throughout the season.

In conclusion, the 2023-2024 women’s college lacrosse season is approaching its climax. The highly anticipated tournament is nearing its end, with the remaining teams striving to secure victory in the 2024 NCAA Women’s Lacrosse Tournament. The ultimate showdown will soon take place, determining this year’s champion.