The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

AI in Education: Revolutionary Options or Detrimental Tools

Photo by Steve Johnson on Unsplash

Starting in 2023, educators have faced a daily challenge in balancing the use of AI in education with traditional teaching methods. Educators worldwide share the responsibility of fostering and nurturing students’ capacity to generate unique ideas. However, in the midst of computer-generated responses, engaging with students has posed new challenges.

Some argue that the accessibility of websites that can complete assignments in full has reduced students’ obligation to pay attention during class. Others express concerns that students’ increasing reliance on AI tools while working on assignments may impede their critical thinking abilities, hindering their capacity to generate unique ideas. Writing involves reflection, analysis, and creativity, and relying solely on AI can cause students to miss out on the intellectual process of writing, ultimately leading to poor communication and problem-solving skills in the future. Jordyne Ellisville, an educator, asserted, “With the frequent use of A.I., our minds become reliant on given information rather than us thinking for ourselves.” This viewpoint emphasizes that frequent AI usage leads to dangerous overreliance, hindering students’ exploration of different perspectives and challenge of their ideas.

Frank Bruni, another educator, questioned the importance of writing skills in an era dominated by AI. He asked, “Is skillful writing necessary for achievement or happiness?” While expressing doubts about the significance of becoming a proficient writer in the face of rising AI popularity, Bruni concluded that writing is thinking that has been slowed down, allowing for the exploration of dimensions and nuances that would otherwise be invisible. He argued that writing enables deeper exploration and understanding of ideas, crucial for independent thinking.

While critics maintain that students’ over-reliance on AI tools may impede their ability to think critically for themselves. However, supporters of AI in education argue that using AI tools for assignments and essays can enhance students’ critical thinking skills by providing instant feedback and personalized learning experiences. This allows students to focus more on higher-order thinking skills such as analysis and problem-solving. Moreover, AI can address the issue of limited resources and access to quality education by providing personalized learning materials and resources tailored to individual needs and learning styles.

Dr. Marla James, a teacher from Union Catholic, incorporates AI into the curriculum, allowing students to use it for suggestions to revise their writing, promoting healthy and productive use of artificial intelligence. Additionally, AI can assist teachers in identifying areas where students may be struggling and providing targeted interventions to support their learning progress. When used alongside traditional teaching methods, AI has the potential to provide targeted interventions that help students overcome learning obstacles and achieve their full potential. Furthermore, AI can enhance the accessibility of education by offering adaptive learning platforms that cater to different learning styles and abilities. As technology advances, educators need to embrace these advancements and harness the power of AI to create a more inclusive and effective learning environment.

The differing views on the topic of students’ AI use have strong arguments on both sides. Proponents argue that AI can personalize learning experiences and provide immediate feedback, leading to increased engagement and motivation. Critics express concerns about the potential over-reliance on AI, which may hinder critical thinking skills and human interaction in the learning process. However, with careful implementation and thoughtful integration of AI into education, it is possible to strike a balance that maximizes its benefits while addressing these concerns. Do you believe artificial intelligence has the potential to revolutionize education and greatly improve learning outcomes for all students, or is it just another tool that will be more of a hindrance than a help in the long run?