The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

Rangers Snag Historic World Series Win

Rangers Snag Historic World Series Win
Image by David Bolander from Pixabay

On October 31st, the Texas Rangers claimed victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks with an 11-7 score in a thrilling World Series matchup. The Rangers, playing away in Arizona, turned the tide in their favor after an initial disadvantage. They started the game with a blazing performance that saw them score ten runs in the first inning to take a commanding 10-0 lead. Although the Diamondbacks fought back, scoring six runs in the last two innings, the Rangers secured their historic World Series win.

The World Series, the pinnacle of baseball excitement, features the two best teams in the league facing each other in a best-of-seven format. To reach this prestigious stage, a team must qualify for the playoffs, which only 12 out of 32 teams achieved. The path to the World Series involves navigating through three series before the clash between the league’s top contenders.

The Rangers clinched their World Series victory by defeating the Diamondbacks 5-0 on Wednesday night, marking their first title in the franchise’s 72-year history. This win ended one of the longest World Series droughts in MLB, and the Rangers made the playoffs this year for the first time since 2016.

The Diamondbacks surprised the entire MLB fanbase with their unexpected playoff run, defying low expectations at the beginning of the season. Despite finishing the previous year with a record of 74-88 and making minimal offseason moves, they fell short of completing a Cinderella story.

Despite the excitement on the field, the 2023 World Series recorded one of the lowest viewership numbers in recent history. Across all games, the series averaged just nine million viewers, a decrease of more than two2 million from the previous year. The smaller market sizes of both competing teams likely contributed to this decline in viewership.

In this year’s highly anticipated Fall Classic, the Texas Rangers and the Arizona Diamondbacks battled it out for the title. Both teams faced challenges in the regular season, with neither initially in the conversation for the playoffs. However, they proved their worth with solid performances, leading to an unexpected World Series matchup. The series looked promising after the Rangers won the first game 6-5, and the Diamondbacks claimed the second 9-1. Yet, the Rangers secured the subsequent three victories, sealing their historic World Series win.

As the series concluded, the Diamondbacks faced an uphill battle to stay alive. Despite their impressive run, they were down three games to one. The Rangers, aiming for their first championship in franchise history, had the opportunity to secure the title. Game five unfolded as a pitching duel until the seventh inning when the Rangers broke the scoreless tie. A series of impactful plays, including a two-run home run by Marcus Semien, led to the Rangers’ 5-0 victory and their historic World Series win.

The unexpected clash between two underdog teams made this World Series one of the most memorable, with the Rangers emerging as the champions, capping off a remarkable season and ending decades of anticipation for their fans. “I was shocked by the Rangers World Series win, stated by baseball enthusiasts,” said Garson Naar, Freshman for a Day at Union Catholic High School. The Rangers were established in 1961 and had never received a ring until now. The victory ended the 61-year, never-winning World Series streak.

Some writers view the victory of a team with a small fan bases as a good thing because it marks the upbringing of younger and more farm-built teams. “I think it’s a good thing for the health of baseball to have new pennant winners and new champions, new teams playing in the World Series. You don’t want it to be the same market and brands every year,” said Mike Mulvihill, Fox Executive Vice president of Strategy and Analytics, in an interview with the Associated Press.

The rangers celebrated their immaculate victory like every other team, with a classic team parade showing unity in the city. The electricity of Arlington is delivered here. “The Texas Live! Lonestars are exciting the crowd at today’s World Series parade in Arlington. Join us from the Texas Rangers home city as we celebrate their historic win. So fun!” said Gimbel from The Austin Times. This shows how ending a ringless stretch can improve the whole city by giving people a chance to connect over the fantastic sport of baseball. This is a great tradition that a city deserves to enjoy when their team does something as challenging as being the last organization standing of all 30 teams, with the best players from all over the world trying to accomplish the same goal of becoming world champions.