The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

Chiefs Edge out the 49ers in OT

In a dramatic overtime triumph, the Kansas City Chiefs defeated the San Francisco 49ers in front of
tens of thousands of fans at Allegiant Stadium and millions of viewers at home. The Chiefs have won
back-to-back Super Bowls, making history with the New England Patriots in 2003–2004. Chiefs
quarterback Patrick Mahomes has already stated that he intends to win three Super Bowls in a row: “I am going to do whatever I can to be back in this game next year, three-peat.” With yet another devastating loss to the Chiefs, the 49ers’ three-decade Super Bowl wait comes to an end as they return home disheartened.

The 49ers got the opening kickoff at 3:40 PST. The 49ers and Chiefs would trade punts until the
second quarter, when they would finally score. Jake Moody, the 49ers’ kicker, broke the record for the
biggest field goal ever made in Super Bowl history with a 55-yarder. After the following three
possessions ended in punts, the game fell silent once more. Then, Isiah Pacheco of the Chiefs fumbled the ball, and they recovered to increase their advantage with a 67-yard touchdown drive. With 4:23 left in the first half, 49ers wide receiver Jauan Jennings extended the lead to 10-0 with a 21-yard touchdown throw to running back Christian McCaffrey on the last play of the drive. Harrison Butker, Chiefs’ kicker, converted a 65-yard drive that uses up the bulk of the quarter’s clock to a 28-yard field goal.

With the exception of Mahomes’ interception on the first drive, the third quarter was uneventful
until the Chiefs drove down field for 47 yards, ending with a 57-yard field goal that beat Jake Moody’s
previous record from the same game at 9:02. Three plays after the Chiefs scored, 49ers punter Tommy
Attalla Townsend made a disastrous error that completely shifted the game’s momentum. The punt was 40 yards long, landing on the 25-yard line, but it struck 49ers cornerback Darrell Luter Jr.’s leg, bouncing it to the 19-yard line. Chiefs cornerback Jaylen Watson recovered the ball, moving the team to the 49ers 16-yard line. The Chiefs take a 13-10 lead as Mahomes connects with wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling for a 16-yard touchdown and Butker’s extra point. In response, the 49ers mounted a 75-yard drive that culminated in a 10-yard touchdown throw from quarterback Brock Purdy to wide receiver Jauan Jennings.

However, Chiefs defender Leo Chenal blocked Jake Moody’s attempt to convert the extra point, so he
missed it. Mahomes fumbled the ball, threw an incomplete pass, then wa sacked on the following drive,
forcing him to settle for a 24-yard field goal. There were 5:49 minutes left in the quarter, and with the score tied at 16-16. After just four plays, the 49ers had moved the ball to the Chiefs’ 40-yard line. However, after Purdy’s incomplete throw on third down, they were forced to settle for another field goal. Moody then made a 53-yard of goal to make the score 19-16.

With just ten seconds remaining on the last drive of regulation, the Chiefs took the ball down field and reached the 49ers’ 11-yard line. After a possible game ending pass intended to Travis Kelce was overthrown, the Chiefs once again settled for a field goal by Butker tying the game 19-19. The 49ers head coach, Kyle Shanahan, made the very contentious decision to decide to receive the ball for overtime after winning the coin toss and calling tails.

Numerous publications following the game claimed that most of the 49ers players were unaware of the playoff overtime regulations. With the ball, the 49ers advanced the field and wasted time before shooting a field goal. With 10 seconds remaining, Patrick Mahomes drove 75 yards in 13 plays to set up a first and goal on San Francisco’s 3-yard line. Mahomes then connected with wide receiver Mecole Hardman for a 1-yard touchdown to win the game for the Chiefs. Patrick Mahomes was named the Super Bowl MVP for the third time in his already illustrious career.

The Chiefs franchise moved to third place all-time in Super Bowl victories won by a club. Patrick
Mahomes solidified his status as one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, and Travis Kelce added
another ring to his already Hall of Fame career. After yet another incredibly painful and frustrating season, the 49ers headed home and to get ready to take on a youthful and fiercely competitive NFC in 2024–2025. Only one team—out of the thirty-two that begin the season with great expectations—ended the season content.