The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

UC Celebrates Catholic Schools Week

UC’s Pep Rally Highlighted Catholic Schools Week

UC recently celebrated one of the most anticipated events for Catholic schools worldwide. From January 28 to February 3, the Union Catholic Regional High School community will participated in Catholic Schools Week. The period was marked by excitement and tradition as faculty and students came together to express pride in their Catholic school through various activities and rituals, ranging from small, enjoyable additions throughout the week to a lively pep rally.

Dating back to 1974 and embraced by Catholic schools nationwide, Catholic Schools Week serves as a cherished tradition, involving approximately 5,920 schools across the country. Its primary objective is to inspire and uplift the spirits of Catholic school communities. Students eagerly anticipate this week, filled with excitement as they prepare to celebrate their achievements through enjoyable events.

Catholic Schools Week is revered as a quasi-holiday in Catholic schools globally, with this year’s theme, “United in Faith and Community,” echoing throughout schools worldwide, as expressed by the Archdiocese of Newark. Schools will manifest this theme through various activities, including masses, open houses, and school-specific events designed for students to unwind and revel in their school’s prestige.

At Union Catholic, Catholic Schools Week was predominantly commemorated with a pep rally held in the gymnasium. As the school day drew to a close on Wednesday, students were directed to their seats on the bleachers. Enthusiasm filled the air as music played, cheerleaders performed their routines, and basketball games ensued, with teams of three competing on both sides of the gym. The event provided enjoyment for both participants and spectators, showcasing an impressive display of school spirit. The festivities were captured and made available for viewing on the Union Catholic High School YouTube page, Union Catholic Live.

However, Union Catholic goes beyond a single pep rally to celebrate Catholic Schools Week. The week commenced on Monday with a club period schedule, allowing students to convene with their respective clubs and plan future activities. Throughout the week, two additional traditions were observed. The first was a food drive, with donation bins placed around the school for members of the UC community to contribute food items for those in need. The second tradition was free tag days, allowing students to wear their own appropriate clothing instead of the school uniform. By the end of the week, the food drive bins throughout the school were filled with donations that would later be distributed to those in need.