The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

An Adventure Hidden on the Shelf

In a world where individuals gifted with magic from birth must conceal their abilities from their human counterparts, Callum Hunt embarks on a journey to discover his true identity. Bullied for his appearance and physical limitations, he realizes that his life holds more purpose than he ever believed possible through Holly Black’s masterful blending of the dream world with reality in The Iron Trial.

The Iron Trial constructs an entire universe for readers to enter and be captivated by, exploring the conflict between personal desires and familial expectations. Holly Black delves into the moral dilemma of balancing personal aspirations with the desires of loved ones, portraying a physically handicapped boy with iron screws holding his shattered leg together since birth. Callum discovers that there is much more to life than simply existing with his father, as he is given the opportunity to attend a school where he learns about magic and his second life. With Holly Black’s incredible storytelling ability, readers will be engrossed in this mystical and intriguing adventure.

Holly Black, a New York Times bestselling author, is renowned for her extensive collection of fantasy books. Since the publication of her first book in 2002, Tithe: A Modern Fairy Tale, Black has gained widespread recognition, becoming a finalist for multiple awards and winning many more. Writing entire collections of fantasy stories, her works have been translated and read in 32 different languages worldwide.

This vast collection of novels and stories led to the creation of the Magisterium series, particularly the first book, The Iron Trials. This book expands upon the world known to everyone on Earth, introducing a second society living among so-called “normal” people. The challenge is to maintain communication and socialization between these two groups without revealing the existence of magic to those without it. However, internal conflicts within Callum arise as he grapples with the realization that his life was spared as a young boy.

The intense conflicts between oneself, friends, and family throughout the novel resonate with the hearts and internal struggles of many readers, particularly teens. The relatability to real-world conflicts combined with unimaginable plot twists ensures that readers will be unable to put down this masterpiece. Furthermore, the entire series of five books will immerse readers in a world of imagination from start to finish.