The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

Michigan at the Center of Sign Stealing Scandal

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fthmb%2FB6fMgsOJfSXprjWnQrVl0YryPjA%3D%2F1500x0%2Ffilters%3Ano_upscale()%3Amax_bytes(150000)%3Astrip_icc()%3Afocal(999×0%3A1001x2)%2FJim-Harbaugh-michigan-111023-1-64d7020b7ee34a31b6b6bd9d725192cb.jpg&tbnid=tfNh1dwGVqVfhM&vet=12ahUKEwjAyLe8u8aCAxWfMWIAHVN9CEMQMygAegQIARBo..i&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Fmichigan-head-coach-jim-harbaugh-banned-from-remaining-big10-games-8400697&docid=sjXV6Np6Boy6KM&w=1500&h=1001&itg=1&q=jim%20harbaugh&hl=en&authuser=0&ved=2ahUKEwjAyLe8u8aCAxWfMWIAHVN9CEMQMygAegQIARBo

Over the last few years, sign stealing has been at the center of investigations, but one specific program has recently been under the microscope. The college football community has noticed that this particular program has used different tactics to steal its opponent’s signs. The start of the sign stealing was in Ann Arbor, Michigan. These allegations could affect the stated team’s chance of making the college football playoffs.

The Michigan Wolverines have been at the center of allegations of sign stealing against B1G opponents. The NCAA has been investigating Michigan and its head coach, Jim Harbaugh, after evidence was released that they paid an employee to scout B1G opponents so they could know their signals.

Sign stealing is not completely illegal but should not be taken to the extent Michigan went. According to College Football Committee member Boo Corrigan, Michigan stealing signs will not affect the team’s chances of making the playoffs. Boo Corrigan commented, “We view it as it’s an NCAA issue, not a CFP issue.”

The B1G suspended Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh for the final three games of the regular season. His suspension came after the B1G concluded there was substantial evidence to suspend him. Michigan picked up the win in Happy Valley on Saturday, November 11, 2023, against #11 ranked Penn State.

The accused  member of the Wolverines staff, Connor Stallions, has been involved in the Michigan program for a long time. Both of his parents are U of M alums, and he has been a longtime program fan. He was suspended without pay on October 20, 2023, when investigators shed light on Michigan’s involvement in the sign stealing after the NCAA started its investigation.

Meanwhile, the NCAA investigation is still under fire for the allegations, and the NCAA is still conducting a thorough inquiry into the sign stealing. The NCAA banned sign stealing in 1994, but now the spotlight is on a formerly unknown staffer who has become the most talked about member of the college football community.

Many college football analysts are commenting on the scandal, such as Pete Thamel. Thamel is a well-known analyst on College GameDay, which airs every Saturday before the noon slate of games. “It’s possible that there could be a punishment handed down soon – but nothing is set in stone yet,” said Thamel.

The Michigan staffers were supposedly unaware of the situation. Jim Harbaugh is in the crosshairs of punishment because head coaches are held accountable for their staffers and what happens between the programs. Jim Harbaugh was on the sideline for the Purdue game. However, with heavily anticipated matchups against #2-ranked Ohio State and #12-ranked Penn State, his absence was heavily felt. Nonetheless, the win against Penn State was a step in the right direction for the Wolverines, as they looked perfectly fine without Jim Harbaugh. The following two games for the Wolverines are against unranked Maryland and #2 Ohio State Buckeyes.

These heavily anticipated matchups will help determine how the Wolverines will finish in the final college football playoff ranking. With wins over Ohio State and Penn State, Michigan will almost be guaranteed a spot in the CFP. However, the allegations against Michigan are a grave matter that will forever stain the football program.