The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

Fast Fashion:

Some Consumers are in the Dark
Fast+Fashion%3A
Photo by Marcus Loke on Unsplash

To maximize profits, the fashion industry introduced “fast fashion” in the late 90s, prioritizing quantity over quality. Over the years, manufacturers rapidly produced clothes in massive quantities, predominantly in Asian factories, contributing significantly to global carbon dioxide emissions. This unsustainable cycle can no longer be overlooked.

Fast fashion is built on cutting corners, utilizing child labor, and environmental pollution, accounting for a substantial 10% of the world’s carbon dioxide emissions. Many contributing countries also dump toxic waste into water bodies. Moreover, the short-lived nature of these fashion trends contributes to the accumulation of discarded clothing, which adds to landfills and harms natural habitats.

Environmental damage is not the only concern associated with fast fashion. Consumers perpetuate a cycle of excess by purchasing more than they need and discarding clothes when trends change. This wasteful practice not only harms the environment but also exploits the working conditions of those who manufacture the garments.

Despite facing increasing criticism for its practices, the industry continues to rely on cheap labor, often involving child workers, which tarnishes the reputation of the entire fashion world. Thus, the toll extends beyond carbon emissions, encompassing hazardous working conditions for child laborers.

Nonetheless, increased awareness through social media is prompting consumers to make more informed choices. People are now opting for sustainable brands, boycotting those with harmful practices, and actively speaking out against unethical practices. While some brands are making efforts to improve their ethics, substantial changes are necessary for the industry to become more environmentally and worker-friendly.