The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

World’s Oldest Skydiver: Record Breaker

In a daring and unforgettable feat on October 1, 2023, 104-year-old Dorothy Hoffner defied age limits by taking to the skies for an exhilarating skydiving adventure. “It was wonderful up there. The whole thing was delightful, wonderful, couldn’t have been better,” said Hoffner, who cherished the moment’s thrill. Knowing that she was nearing the end of her life, the Chicago woman wanted to fulfill her dream of skydiving. She ultimately achieved her goal and, in the process, set the world record for the world’s oldest skydiver. Tragically, the daring centenarian passed away two weeks later but left behind a legacy of courage and fulfillment.

On October 1, Hoffner bravely leaped into the sky, shouting, “Let’s go, let’s go, Geronimo!” as she finally settled into her seat. Before her passing, Hoffner shared her reflections on the experience and was applauded in the media for her determination and courage. She set the world record for the oldest skydiver at 104, beating out the previous 103-year-old record holder. However, Hoffner’s acco9mplishment has yet to be officially charted due to her death before the new record could be confirmed. According to AP News, efforts are underway to ensure that the Guinness World Records records Hoffner’s jump posthumously as the oldest person to co complete a skydiving feat in the world.

Remarkably, this wasn’t Hoffner’s initial attempt at skydiving; the idea had sparked in her mind four years prior. Back then, she hesitated and chose not to go through with it—a decision that lingered as a source of regret. Determined not to let this opportunity slip away again, in October 2023, Hoffner summoned the courage to make her dream a reality this time. In subsequent interviews, Hoffner shared her deep pride for overcoming her past hesitation and finally following through on a dream that had eluded her for years.

Hoffner inspired many people to follow their dreams and not give up. She was scared at first but followed through and lived out her passion. Hoffner was given a memorial service for following her diligence and has been recognized by many as a very brave women and is now famous worldwide.