The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

Premier League Title Race in Sight

Only 12 Weeks into the Season
Premier League Title Race in Sight
Flickr

Twelve weeks into the English Premier League, we already have a title race, teams doing surprisingly well, and possibly an already-finished relegation battle. This year’s title race will likely be Arsenal, Man City, and Liverpool, with Tottenham perhaps getting into that mix. Manchester United, Chelsea and Newcastle are in trouble, as a top four finish looks unlikely, with injuries and bad form haunting the teams. The relegation battle might be over already, as the three bottom teams have only gotten one win each from 12 games.

The title race this season look like a good one. Manchester City is there, but so are Liverpool, Arsenal, and a brand-new-looking Tottenham. After twelve games Manchester City leads at 28 points, with Arsenal and Liverpool trailing by one and Tottenham by two points. As the season goes on, Tottenham will likely drop out due to a lack of squad depth, but if they keep all their leading players healthy and fit, they can mount a surprising title push. Liverpool looks to be in a key position to rival Man City, and we will see with Liverpool’s next game against Man City. Arsenal, looking more experienced this season, have already beaten Man City, showing they have what it takes to challenge and possibly win.

The title race is one of many important races in the Premier League. For those teams that need more squad depth to challenge for the title, a top four finish is the goal. For teams like Manchester United, Newcastle, and Chelsea, this is the case. But with Manchester United and Newcastle having more
and more injuries popping up every game, it could be looking better. With Chelsea, injuries aren’t a problem, but bad form is. Chelsea hasn’t looked like a well-playing team until these past two weeks with a win against Tottenham and a tie against Man City. If Chelsea can keep up those types of performances, they might have a chance at breaking into the top four despite them being 10 points behind fourth place
Tottenham.

The last race in the Premier League might not seem important, but it proved to be an interesting one in past seasons. Last season’s relegation battle came down to the previous day, with Everton securing a
spot over Leister City and Leeds United. This season’s relegation battle may already be over, with Luton Town (six points), Sheffield United (five points), and Burnley (four points) taking up the bottom three
spots. The only other team remotely close to them is Bournemouth (nine points), but to be fair
Bournemouth has played five out of the six big teams in the Premier League. With Bournemouth’s schedule looking much easier, it’s not good for the bottom three if they can’t start winning. Every week, it
seems increasingly like three relegation teams have already been decided.

This Premier League season looks interesting, with Manchester City being the favorite to win. But Arsenal proved to be a test last year for them, and with the addition of Liverpool into the title race, this year will definitely be an entertaining race. Look out for the top four finish race, with multiple teams such as Newcastle, Man U, Chelsea, Aston Villa, and Brighton looking to take the fourth place spot away from Tottenham. Finally, the relegation battle will improve, with the bottom three teams finding some form to start winning games to squeeze out of that bottom three position. By the end of the season, the bottom three will be completely different, and the title race will be, too. But fitting one thing is certain. The English Premier League 2023-2024 season will be a good one.