The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

Eras Tour: One for the Record Books

Eras Tour: One for the Record Books
Eva Rinaldi, CC BY-SA 2.0 , via Wikimedia Commons

Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour is unlike any other tour in history. Singer-songwriter Taylor Swift announced her tour, the Eras Tour, on November 1, 2022. This tour has been a walk down memory lane, with Taylor singing various hits from almost all of her albums, including songs as old as 14 years. The tour has been perfect for every single “Swiftie,” as Taylor transitions from happy to sad, fast to slow, covering almost every genre within the 3 and a half hour long show.

Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour has skyrocketed into the highest-grossing musical tour of all time, exceeding $1 billion in revenue, and Taylor isn’t even done yet. On February 7, 2024, she will mark her first concert in 2024, heading to Tokyo, Japan, to continue the legacy of this infamous tour. Taylor Swift announced to the whole world that she would be touring America, playing all her hits, both old and new. This tour, entitled the Eras Tour, has become one of the most impactful events of all time, changing lives for fans and bringing in new fans as well. Such was the high demand for this tour that it broke the Ticketmaster record with over two million tickets sold in one day, almost wrecking the website completely. As we enter 2024, the Eras Tour is still one of the most followed events, with people tuning in to watch it on livestream every time Taylor performs.

Ticketmaster, a ticket buying/selling website, was used as a means of selling all Eras Tour tickets to excited fans. However, one issue with this site is that many people have been buying tickets and selling them for hundreds of dollars more than the original price on other websites. This has made it extremely difficult for true fans to get tickets at an affordable price, or any at all. Despite this issue, the Eras Tour still ended up crashing the Ticketmaster website completely. Fans waited in the online queue for hours upon hours, waiting to be able to purchase tickets. Eventually, the website was up and running again, with every single date completely sold out the first day tickets went on sale. Afterwards, Ticketmaster released a statement, saying, “Historically, we’ve been able to manage huge volume coming into the site to shop for tickets, so those with Verified Fan codes have a smooth shopping process. However, this time the staggering number of bot attacks as well as fans who didn’t have codes drove unprecedented traffic on our site, resulting in 3.5 billion total system requests – 4x our previous peak.”

To put the magnitude of the Eras Tour into perspective, fans at a show in Seattle caused a 2.3 magnitude earthquake from jumping and dancing. This occurrence was compared to another earthquake, called the beast quake, which occurred in 2011, with only a 0.3 magnitude difference between the two. This earthquake shows the true impact that Taylor has on her fans, and it also shows the community that she has built up, and how many people she has brought together through her music. Taylor even ended up thanking her fans for “all of the cheering, screaming, jumping, dancing, singing at the top of your lungs” on Instagram the next day.

The Eras Tour is a perfect representation of Taylor Swift’s true dedication and work ethic. The amount of work and effort that she has put into this show is unlike any other artist or concert of the time. Taylor revealed that she would run on the treadmill every day while singing her setlist in order to get in shape for her tour. ”Fast for fast songs, and a jog or a fast walk for slow songs,” said Taylor in an interview with Time. She began training six months before the first date of her tour. Another thing that Taylor did to prepare was she stopped drinking alcohol. She wants to keep up her strength and stamina throughout the rest of her shows. Many artists only sing when they are performing, but the Taylor Swift Eras Tour is an entire experience, and it is safe to say that nothing like this will happen again from any other artist.

The Taylor Swift Eras Tour has changed countless lives, with people being able to experience a full-on concert, play, story, and more. In songs like “Tolerate It” and “The Last Great American Dynasty,” Taylor and various dancers act out the meaning of her songs, and it is like nothing that has been done before. If you were one of the people lucky enough to get tickets, then this tour would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and something that you will never forget. One fan, Delaney Meyers, stated, “I think that anyone who is a Taylor Swift fan would enjoy the show. I think being older I got more out of it because I knew more of the songs but younger kids would enjoy it too. It’s a memory I’ll never forget.” The future for the Eras Tour is also looking very bright. “The Eras Tour is likely headed toward a total gross of $1.6 billion to $1.7 billion.”