The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

UC’s SMAC Fund Raising and Lunch Sales Soar

The initiative of the Student Movement Against Cancer Club at Union Catholic Regional
High School and also nationally is to support numerous local and international organizations
that support cancer research while also educating our community about cancer prevention.
Through the raising of money and awareness for this widespread illness, SMAC gives its
members the ability to take action at a time when many feel powerless.

The Student Movement Against Cancer at Union Catholic is one of its most popular
clubs. SMAC at Union Catholic consists of 50+ Union Catholic students and millions
worldwide. SMAC is run by club moderator, Mr. Conte, and nine board members who are
upperclassmen ( Mateusz Worosz, Riley Ramirez, Peyton Hollis, John Roder, Courtney Keiser,
Chloe Morret, Leilani Smith, Ava Goldberg, Henry Hiel). SMAC makes every effort to enhance
the quality of life for cancer patients. Through community outreach, activities, fundraising,
dialogue, and teamwork, SMAC is committed to healing and wholeness.

SMAC has more than 20 specific fundraising activities organized by the board to raise
money for cancer-related causes. One of the most profitable ways that SMAC figured out how to raise
money is through sales during school lunch periods. Varying from bake and smoothie sales to even
soda float sales that are student favorites, these sales average $500 daily.

As a result of the fact that many Union Catholic faculty members and students either
experienced it in some way or knew someone who had childhood cancer, the primary
SMAC objective is to raise money for research on young cancer patients. SMAC collects money throughout the year to donate to an organization that changes every year; for the
the year 2023-2024, the entire club voted to donate to the Emmanuel Cancer Foundation in Clark,
New Jersey.