The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

Black Friday Forecast

Photo by Artem Beliaikin on Unsplash

As the days are getting closer to Thanksgiving, Black Friday is just right around the corner. Black Friday, always the day after Thanksgiving, gets people excited for Christmas and the holiday season with new deals, sales, and brands

Chaos and craziness will fill up all the malls and stores on Black Friday. With online shopping and all the malls, every store will get a lot of business on November 24, 2023. Everyone runs around like crazy, trying to get the best deals and sales ever. Even Christmas deals will be out, marking the official start of the Christmas holiday season. Black Friday is getting closer and closer, with the fantastic sales coming with it and the Christmas decorations and the excitement of everything mixed.

The only thing that is as crazy as malls on black Friday is the hectic households from all the online shopping. Times have changed now that not as many people go to malls as they used to before the pandemic. Students have said that they would rather online shop than in-store shop. Including my Viking for a day, Emily said, “I would rather online shop to relax and chill in my bed while shopping. It’s a lot easier.”

Throughout the many years of Black Friday sales, profits have increased overall, and so has the popularity of this holiday. Although “BlackĀ  Friday” is not a holiday in a lot of areas, California, for example, named its post-Thanksgiving shopping day “The day after Thanksgiving” as a holiday for state employees.

This year, sales are predicted to increase over 20233, especially with all of the online and in-store shopping. Statistics show that besides the sales decreasing a little in 2021, the profitsĀ have been increasing every year, which is supposed to happen this year, too.

Although Black Friday can be an exciting time of the year for the stores, not all stores and people
like Black Friday. One of these stores, including REI, an outdoor camping gear establishment, has stated
that it does not favor Black Friday. Therefore, it does not participate in the sales and advertising. Other people say there is too much hype and that the sales are not worth all the chaos, including some of my classmates. Amelia remarked, “I don’t participate in Black Friday because it’s too much for me and not worth it.”