The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

Catholic Schools Week: An Important Celebration

The week of January 28th is a special time here at UC as it marks the beginning of Catholic Schools Week. It is a time of special events and an important celebration of Catholic Education not only here but also across America.

Catholic Schools Week is not just a time where students get free donuts, tag days, and have a fun pep rally. It is a time when Catholic schools all over the country take pride in their education and faith and the link that Catholic schools create between the two. The week is usually very different from all others as it usually includes a variety of activities and treats for students. Catholic schools provide not only a “solid foundation in academic subjects” (as stated by Catholic World Mission) but also a “sound spiritual foundation.” They are truly important and worth celebrating during this special week.

The week kicks off with a prayer service that sets the stage for this important week. It helps to show students that this celebration is important and that this education is truly a gift from God. It gives students time to reflect on their education and what it truly means to them to say that they are students of Union Catholic. Sister Percylee Hart, principal of Union Catholic, said in the prayer service on Monday that we are celebrating “the fact that we are a Catholic school and able to profess our faith through our words and actions and deeds as well as have a quality education.”

The next big event at the school is the Pep Rally. The Pep rally starts with all variety athletes running into the gym and then continues into a prayer and the playing of the national anthem. We then got to see two performances from the cheerleaders with the first being JV cheerleading and the second being from the varsity team. Then, the games begin with the first being a three-point contest that moves right into a dunk contest. The Pep Rally ends with three on three basketball games in tournament style. It ended in great success and had people walking away smiling.

The final activity of the week was donuts in the wings where students during homeroom got a free donut. Students also walked away with a better understanding of Catholic Schools Week. Students now understand the importance of their education and the gift of being able to attend a Catholic school. They have a new appreciation for Union Catholic and how it provides students not only with quality education but also a basis for spiritual growth and an ability to deepen their faith.