The Importance of Black History Month

Photo by Pixabay

Black History Month: Celebrating the Triumphs and Honoring the Struggles of African Americans

Erica Dines, Staff Writer

Black History Month was created to draw attention to the gifts of African Americans to the United States. It is celebrated in the month of February, which honors all Black people from history. Black History Month celebrates and honors the triumphs and struggles of African Americans throughout U.S. History. “History has shown us that courage can be contagious, and hope can take on a life of its own,” said Michelle Obama, the first African American First Lady of the United States.

African Americans’ perspectives on life were altered by activists and civil rights pioneers like Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, Marcus Garvey, Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, and Rosa Parks. These role models demonstrated that people of all races—not just African Americans—are willing to overcome the challenges associated with being who they were created to be. Segregation has changed, for example, thanks to civil rights activists who stood up for African Americans. These leaders fought to ensure that all races in America could access the same educational opportunities and restrooms.

Maya Angelou once said, “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” African Americans were responsible for many inventions, such as the stop sign, hair products, elevator doors, folding chairs, and many others. Thanks to these inventions, people are now guaranteed greater safety at home and on the roads. Since elevator doors were created, convenience has improved. Madam CJ Walker created her own cosmetics and hair care products for African American ladies.

Studying black history gives one a better grasp of the current challenges and the history of how African Americans came to be where they are. Many of today’s political and social concerns are unresolved issues from the past. The power to defend certain rights and enact new ones rests largely with a nation’s citizenry.”The timing is always right to do what is right,” declared Martin Luther King, Jr.

Alexis Morse, a student from Roselle Catholic, stated that “Black History Month is a time when people all over the world can realize the importance that African Americans have had in the world. It is a time to embrace culture and to do it with pride.” Celebrating the history and triumphs that came along the way is significant. The time has come for African Americans to honor significant personalities from the past and the present during Black History Month. Despite a long history of racism and persecution, it’s an opportunity to highlight and celebrate the accomplishments made by African Americans in this nation.