The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

Manchester United will Win the Champions League

Photo by Ardfern on ZoomViewer licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International License.
Manchester Poised to Win Despite Injuries

Despite its poor start to the new season, Manchester United will win the Champions League this season. Although the team is going through a rough patch, the players will make a remarkable comeback to compete with the most prominent teams and win the most prestigious club competition, the Champions League.

Here are some ways that United can be a Champions League contender:

• United and Erik ten Hag have yet to kick-start the new campaign, but they still have time to make the most of the new season.
  • Manchester United’s team is filled with famous players who have not lived up to their expectations.
  • United will have to make brave decisions to compete with the European giants. It starts with an organized 4-2-3-1 formation. Andre Onana will be between the sticks, and the defense will have Luke Shaw, Raphael Varane, Lisandro Martinez, and Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
  • The midfield is where United will have to be disciplined. United’s DM would be Casemiro, and the two attacking midfielders would be Bruno Fernandes and the experienced Christian Eriksen.
  • Finally, the attack will contain the exciting talent Alejandro Garnacho at LW, new signing Rasmus Hojlund at CF, and star Marcus Rashford at RW.
  • With this fast attack and an experienced defense, Manchester United could compete with the best teams in Europe.

Even with this ideal lineup, Manchester United suffers from an injury crisis. The perfect back four are injured and replaced by Sergio Reguilon, Harry Maguire, Jonny Evans, and Diogo Dalot. The midfield is also hit with injuries. Casemiro is currently out with a hamstring injury and is expected to be out for a few weeks. In attack, Marcus Rashford is constantly hit with injuries. Therefore, Garnacho is better because he is young and not injury-prone. Manchester United must do some business in the January Transfer Window to succeed in the Champions League this season.

Since Manchester United has a weak defensive line, United will have to look to the market to find better alternatives. One example is young talent Jean-Claire Todibo from French club OGC Nice. Since United is one of the wealthiest clubs in the world, a reasonable price for this transfer would be $30 million. For the midfield, United can replace Casemiro with World Cup star Sofyan Amrabat, who is benched in favor of Casemiro. United can sell exiled Jadon Sancho for $40 million. United can also sell flop Antony for another $35 million. With this $75 million, Manchester United can spend that money on young Benjamin Sesko, who cannot stop scoring in the Austrian League.

With these new signings, and if Manchester United can make it through the group phase, the team will get a stronger lineup heading into the knockout Stage. Erik ten Hag can play his famed dynamic and fast-paced play with a 4-4-2 Diamond lineup. Andre Onana remains in goal, while the new defense would be Sergio Reguilon, Jean-Claire Todibo, Harry Maguire, and Diogo Dalot. The midfield will have Sofyan Amrabat at DM, replacing Casemiro. Bruno Fernandes and Christian Eriksen. The CF will be Rasmus Hojlund, and the front two will be Garnacho and Rashford. Sesko will be on the bench and will be used whenever needed. With this fast attack and a disciplined defense, United could compete for the Champions League and win its first Champions League title since 2008