The Prophet

The Student News Site of Union Catholic High School

The Prophet

The Prophet

Nicki v. Megan

Amidst the bursting drama of the music scene, crazed fans are abuzz over the growing tension between
rappers Megan thee Stallion and Nicki Minaj. The new beef set off on January 26, 2024, with the release
of Megan thee Stallion’s newest track, “Hiss.” After feeling called out publicly, Nicki felt the need to
respond with a diss track. However, this is certainly not the first time that two big rappers have gotten into it online.

The reactions and anticipation from fans stem from astonishment at the intensity of the feud. Megan thee Stallion’s track references Megan’s Law, the legislation behind sex offender registries, on which both Minaj’s husband and brother are listed. In retaliation, Nicki brought up Megan’s late mother, who passed away from brain cancer in 2019.

Despite the broad applicability of Megan’s song within the industry, Nicki publicly retaliated with disparaging comments about Megan’s health and character. Nicki’s latest song, “Big Foot,” serves as a brazen verbal assault aimed squarely at Megan thee Stallion. Nicki Minaj even hinted at a potential sequel to the song to further air grievances against her former friend-turned-foe.

Nicki’s bold threat has since sparked widespread attention, dominating headlines, social media posts, and viral TikToks. Speculations regarding Nicki Minaj’s mental state have arisen as she continues to respond to the song with tweets and live broadcasts since the release of “Hiss.” Meanwhile, Megan has remained relatively silent, merely sharing a photo of herself laughing amidst the chaotic situation.

Critics have denounced Nicki’s reaction to Megan thee Stallion’s track, arguing that she was not directly named in the lyrics. Megan’s verses avoided explicit references to specific artists, instead employing analogies and veiled references, whereas Nicki opted for a more personalized attack. The ongoing feud encapsulates a battle between two leading figures in the rap industry, with the promise of further developments yet to unfold.